Nail biting is a bad habit that can not only make your hands look unsightly, but if you bite your nails badly enough, you can permanently damage your nails, your teeth, or even your gums. If you are tired of the nail stubs and bleeding, try these simple remedies to promote normal and beautiful nail growth.
Confront your problem. It’s time to admit that your nail-biting habit is getting out of control, and that you don’t feel capable of stopping whenever you want. Before you stop trying to bite your nails, you must realize that you have been doing it in class, at work, or other public places, and that it is not socially acceptable. Tell yourself that you want healthy, beautiful nails and to drop your nasty habit for good.
Take pictures of your nails and examine them. Is that what you want your nails to look like forever?
(For Girls): Tell yourself that when you have nice long nails then you can get them painted in some pretty shade that you like for special occasions. This will motivate you: “I can’t wear polish until I stop biting my nails.”
Study the nails of people who don’t bite their nails for extra motivation.
Nail Biting Treatments:
Many children eventually grow out of nail biting. But for teens and adults who still struggle with the habit, some techniques have proven results.
- Coat your nails with a bitter-tasting nail biting polish. The nasty taste will discourage you from biting. You can also use a regular clear or colored nail polish to prevent nail biting. The same technique can work with your child.
- Keep nails trimmed short. You’ll have less of a nail to bite.
- Get regular manicures. If you spend the money to keep your nails looking attractive, you’ll be less likely to bite them.
- Use an alternate technique to manage your stress. Try yoga, meditation, deep breathing, or squeezing a stress ball to relax you.
- Put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it whenever you get the urge to bite your nails.
- If you’ve tried these techniques and nothing is working, you can cover your nails with GEL so your nails won’t be accessible to bite.